Niger Delta Friendship Library
In partnership with Global Citizen Journey – USA (GCJ), NIDPRODEV hosted a citizen diplomat delegation visit to the Niger Delta in 2005. The delegation brought 19 Americans and 21 Nigerians from all walks of life and parts of Nigeria to a residential experience in Oporoza, a community on the Escravos River of Warri South West Local Government Area.
The Niger Delta Friendship Library was created as the first library and computer center in the riverine part of the Niger Delta. It was jointly built by the local communities and the delegates from America and Nigeria.
The library project was primarily funded by Chevron Nigeria Ltd., Boeing, National Association of Gbaramatu Students (NAGS), Delta State Government, and the US and Nigeria Delegates. Support for the delegation also provided by the US Embassy in Abuja and US Consulate in Lagos.
In the years since the library was opened in 2005, NIDPRODEV has worked to attract additional funding to expand functionality. The US Ambassador’s Self-Help Fund provided a grant to purchase a solar inverter which provides back-up power and the first step towards implementation of a full solar power system.
In addition, since 2007 DFID has funded the Strengthening Transparency and Accountability in the Niger Delta project which expanded the computer center portion of the library and provides trainings to help community members better use the internet access to obtain information about government activities.
- Thematic Areas
- Current Projects
- Conflict Abatement through Local Mitigation (CALM)
- EU Inside Project
- Conflict Management and Mitigation Regional Council
- Mindset Change and Reorientation Programme for Youth Empowerment
- Democracy On Human Rights Program
- Strengthening Stakeholder Capacity for Peace through Dialogue on Oil Revenue Transparency in the GMoU Communities of Niger Delta
- Strengthening Transparency and Accountability in the Niger Delta (STAND)
- DESOPADEC Micro Credit Programme
- Local Governance and Participatory Development in the Niger Delta States of Bayelsa and Rivers
- Niger Delta Friendship Library
- Pipeline Facility Surveillance Program (PFSP)
- Sweet Crude Documentary Film
- Training Workshop for Voter and Civic Education
- The Kaduna Community Dialogue Programme
- The Leadership Institute for Transformation and Empowerment – Africa (LITE-Africa)